York International Women’s Week (YIWW) is organised by volunteers and based in the local community, with growing links to women’s organisations in other parts of the world. It has existed in its current form for 5 years, with a strong legacy of decades of similar programmes. We encourage events organised by local people, and welcome our regular event organisers as well those for whom planning an event is new.
What’s on offer depends on local organisers, and each year we are delighted by the variety of activist, art, health-related and celebratory events that come in from our Call for Events.
Covid forced us online in 2021, and many discovered that this virtual space worked in surprising ways: for access, offering people a chance to participate from any internet-connected place in the world and opening up events to those for whom leaving home is difficult; economically, with no venue costs and the ease of presenting online exhibitions; and for connection, as many organisers of small events discovered an intimacy in online discussions.
We were fortunate in securing funding from the Josepth Rowntree Foundation to offer technical advice and support.
Of course, we recognise that online events also have their limits, in preventing access for some and in changing the nature of events, and for 2022 we welcome both in-person and online events. Together, we work to enable all women and those who support them to gather together, to learn about women’s and girl’s lives and cultures locally and globally, to have fun learning new skills, and to work towards justice and equity for all.
There are many ways to get involved in YIWW:
- Offer an event. Check out the Call for Events, and send in your application to be part of YIWW2022 by 9th January.
- Help with publicity, for instance by distributing brochures in your neighbourhood or posting on social media or in your organisation.
- Keep in touch via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or by visiting this website. We aim to upload the Programme by 18th February. Printed Programmes will be available at local community outlets.
- If you would like to be added to our mailing list, please email email@example.com. It is a low-volume list. Once added you will be notified of unfolding plans for YIWW2022. You can unsubscribe at any time by emailing or contacting us on the form on the ‘contact’ page.
- Join the coordinating group. If you have some time and would like to consider joining the informal, friendly group of volunteers who organise the overall programme, feel free to email us for a no-obligation chat. The time commitment is mainly in September – April when we meet every three or four weeks. One of the most important tasks is to keep in touch via our internal group email and to take an active part in making ongoing decisions as YIWW comes together. Volunteers also take on various tasks singly or with others, for instance coordinating the Programme or taking responsibility for social media. We welcome all interested people who can spare some time, whether you are new to this kind of volunteering or you have specific experiences or skills to offer.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to chat about any of these ways to be involved.
Best Wishes from the YIWW Coordinating Group:
Rose, Penny, Olivia, Marilyn, Lizzie, Kate, June, Candi and Ann.